Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Empowering Students through Self Defence

Our grade 7 girls spend a unit learning Karate as a form of self defence. During this unit students will learn not only self-defence skills, but also self-discipline, respect, self-control, and confidence, along with having a lot of fun.  This is a popular unit which the students have greatly enjoyed.


A look at how to kick and punch:



Student Reflections:

"It impacted me because I am able to realise how important karate is for self defence. It helps me understand how to control my powers and use it at specific and desperate times. Karate not only builds self control, it also builds our self confidence. Karate helps us focus on our inner movements and it is demanding discipline. You aren't able to maintain structure without discipline because with karate, comes respect. I think that discipline impacted me because I should understand how to respect the teacher and follow orders as instructed."

"I thought that this unit was that it was very helpful for my everyday life and it is a good skill to have in my back pocket, just in case of dangerous situations.  I thought that it was fun and cool because you get to learn the cool karate moves that you usually see in movies.  It was one of my favorite units.  Not only was it fun and edgy, it was also very informational and important to learn.  I would like to learn more cool moves and do a mock fight where it is like real fighting but no one gets hurt.  Something like sparring.  I learned that I have to have a faster and quicker reaction to when people try to attack me because when I was sparring, I was very slow reacting and my opponent always got me." 

No comments:

Post a Comment